Brian,

The Canadian standards, in all frankness, are better than the US's because
their process is more honest and less politically manipulated.  While not
perfect, I would accept Canadian national standards for heavy metals, etc, as
being
a good guideline for community gardeners.

That said, here are some local contacts that may be helpful for you in your
knowledge search:

I. First, to keep you from re-inventing the wheel, I'd contact your local
Utah State agricultural extension:

<A HREF="http://extension.usu.edu/cooperative/index.cfm/cid.246/";>Utah Ag
Extension</A>

The Salt Lake contact numbers are:

Contact Information:
2001 South State Street #1200
Salt Lake City, UT
84190-2350
801-468-3170

County Website:
<A HREF="http://www.usuextension.slco.org/";>www.usuextension.slco.org</A>

Information via Utah Reach
<A
HREF="http://utahreach.org/salt%20lake/";>http://utahreach.org/salt%20lake/</A>

II. The director of Utah's Organic Agriculture Program is listed below. I
believe specific queries on soil testing and standards are best made to these
folks in your area.  If you have never been involved in soil testing, there is
learning curve, and talking to reputable experts is well worth your time.

Utah Department of Agriculture and Food
Organic Food Program Coordinator
                 <A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">Seth Winterton</A>
Box 146500
Salt Lake City UT 84114-6500
Phone: 801-538-7141
Fax: 801-538-7126