This was addressed to me, and the first paragraph "don't apply", but the
second paragraph about the personal in fund raising is "gold."

Case in point - Mrs.Vincent (Brooke) Astor who is now 101, is a great dame
who married money and gave away millions, with class and a great deal of
intelligence from  the now folded Vincent Astor foundation - The foundation
folded
because she gave away all of the foundation's money.

This is one of those true stories that you can't make up.  One of the Clinton
Community Garden's members, and former steering committee member,  Ms..
Margretta McBean,  was part of a James Joyce reading group that plowed through
"Finnegan's Wake," on a yearly basis.  Mrs. Astor was part of the reading
group.
One afternoon the group came into the garden, which at that time had a
hurricaine fence, and no irrigation system - we would use a long hose from one
of the
fire hydrants, which was not quite legal.

To make a long story short, Mrs. Astor liked the place, came back a few
times, and some kinda pushy person familar to some folks on this list asked if
the
foundation would consider a grant application from the likes of us gardeners
in Hell's Kitchen. She handed the then garden chair, Mallory Abrahmsen, her
card and said, " send in a request."

After much agonizing, the grant request was sent in, and we ended up with the
front garden fence and piping for water ( NYC Parks has been good enough to
provide us with water.)

Last year, we read that Mrs. Astor  was spending her 100th birthday up at
David Rockefeller's place, so we found a socialite type ( a local actor) to
personally carry up some garden honey and flowers on behalf of the garden.

Now, we were  certainly not trying to hit Mrs. Astor up, but follow-ups with
old friends is good manners and sometimes gets noticed by others. We write
other grants to other foundations from time to time, and having received  one
very substantial grant and used it properly gives other grantors a heightened
comfort level.

After all, foundations are in the business to grant money - no guts, no glory
- why not you? Make a smart ask, do right with the dough, and follow up
forever with donors, let 'em know what you've been up to.  It's a combination
of
sales, public relations, and good manners.

Everbest,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden

> Subj: Re: [cg] Looking for application templates
>  Date: 10/9/05 10:19:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Sent from the Internet
>

> Oh, Adam, you're such a renaissance man! I hadn't
> thought about the Medicis since college!! (What would
> be the modern-day equivalent I wonder?)
>
> Another little point about grant-writing; as in most
> matters, forming personal relationships and staying in
> touch with one or two people at the giving end is
> always a really good idea. It really is not just 'who
> you know,' but how you treat people.  I have had great
> success just being "real" and staying in touch.
> All the best to you lovely folks; you help keep me
> going!
> Deborah Hayes
> ROOTS
> Hendersonville, NC

h=Message-ID:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;

b=aNZ0ekPawetMRIw7IHnS1zHfjwvEhxSwh7bEt9SGEzruHWpznED/jm+oHmwQRexpkJtbllMbP6IdO/hQInMuRHfSguaZjiCt4Ix41a04UI21NnLqJ5gYDLatb77VfeOwK8vgx+m0EpaNe3ANsz9T0wvLOXdKbHKkzMPMnl7fCyg=
   ;

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786711752/104-4738289-3291917?v=glance

http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/