Friends,

On Fall & Spring Clean Ups.

We don't do tilling at the CCG like you guys do.

Mind you, the third of an acre space that the Clinton Community Garden is sited
on is alot tinier than what many of you are gardening on, and add the fact that
the lion's share of the garden's area is dedicated to a public garden, lawn,
botanical-garden like viewing beds, etc, what I have to say may not be appropos
to the physical condition of your gardens. We do have 108, raised literally
"gueen-sized," raised beds - ala Alan Chadwick, lasagne gardening. Here's the
website, so those who haven't seen it before, can get a sense of the space -
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org

Anyway, we've been amending our soil, composting, adding worms, using
beneficial insects since 1978.  We keep some plastic bins up front in the
public garden type "front garden" for vegetable kitchen shavings, coffee grinds
( often in filters) and the things that "bump-in-the-night" from the veggie
crispers in our fridges. And the compressed muck from our juicers, orange
peels, etc. And the local Korean grocer, when we buy a case of beer sort of
remembers to offer us a bag of veggie detrius so he doesn't have to haul it out
to his wife's garden in Queens.  In the back garden, near the shed, we have a
four bin rotating "compost condo" with a storage section on top for good old
Canadian topsoil (why it comes from Canada, I don't know, but it does,
composted manure, and cedar or in season "Christmas tree" mulch run through our
chipper shredder.

The tilling we do is ususally done with rakes and pitchforks. I'm doing
arrugula and brasscias in a couple of weeks, other intrepid souls do winter
wheat. But as we're not on an alluvial flood plain, we've found our composting
and soil amending helps keep our space, bordered on all four sides by red brick
old law tenements, and a concrete sidewalk, productive.  Everything is a trade
off - and not to have to worry about breached levees is a great relief.

Sidebar: When there's community gardening again in the area Katrina
devastatated, please let the listserv know, so we can send seeds, and pass
around the hat to give you a hands up from your fellow gardeners in the US and
Canada - we do love ya.

Again, the best gardeners even grind up their veggie scraps and juicer remains
and fork them into their soil year round, even in the deep of winter. And yes,
their plots are more productive.

On being "attractive." Most passers-by aren't gonna give a rat's tail about the
garden, so you keep it pretty on the periphery so they have something to look
at during the season changes and a reason to miss you if yer gone. A pretty,
seasonally changing "store window," is nice.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden