Friends,
In a more traditional society, where kids are raised to call all adults Mr.
or Mrs., to rise when adults come in the room and to give up their seats on the
buses to any older person, where the woodshed is in regular use, where people
leave their front doors and cars unlocked, where there is a clear vision of
an all-seeing and just deity with a notepad, and shotguns filled with rock salt
are sitting on nearby porches for use on nocturnal trespassers, I'd agree
with Mr Hergesheimer.

But I opine that even then there'd be garden theft and vandalism. As my rabbi
said over the high holidays, "The reason why the Almighty handed down the ten
commandments to Moses was, that, left to our own devices, some of us would
behave badly."

And there is no reason why the hard work of a community garden volunteer,
especially if it is food being raised to feed his, or other people's hungry
families in a food security effort, should be stolen or vandalized by some
knucklehead.

People read what they want to read, and widely distributed copies of the
posted text only go so far. How many copies of the Constitution are down in
Washington, DC, for example?  How many pumpkins do you think Ken Delay et al.
have
pilfered ;)?

Keep the signs posted, like Mr. Hergesheimer said, but erect a good fence;
and plant attractive perennials along its internal perimiter. so folks have
something nice to look at, and nice thorned rosebushes, and stinging nettles in
extreme cases,  for nocturnal fence-climbing trespassers.

Everbest,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden, NYC