Hello Sumayya,

Thank for you your interest in the Quranic Arabic Corpus, and
specifically in the Ontology of Quranic Concepts. So far, we have
received several requests for a downloadable copy of the Ontology, but
I am afraid that I will have to decline, since this resource is not
yet ready for full public release. Please allow me to explain why. The
Quranic Arabic Corpus has three ongoing projects:

- Morphology - This project involves annotating for part-of-speech,
inflection features (e.g. person, gender, number) and other
morphological features, including segmentation of prefixes and
suffixes.

- Syntax - This project involves assigning a syntactic function to
each word in every sentence, and showing how words relate to each
other through syntactic roles. Dependency grammar is used to visualize
traditional Arabic syntax (i'raab).

- Ontology - This more recent project is a step towards to the final
aim of capturing some of the more straightforward semantics contained
some the verses of the Quran. The ontology defines a list of base
terms, and shows how these concepts relate using predicate logic.

Although the morphology project is still ongoing, the data is of
sufficiently high quality to merit a public release. As such, you can
download the full morphological annotation of the Quran at
http://corpus.quran.com/download. In contrast, the syntax project is
ongoing. So far around 11,000 out of 77,430 words of the Quran are
covered by dependency graphs, see:
http://corpus.quran.com/treebank.jsp. The ontology project is still in
its infancy. Although we have had some very good feedback about this
last project, and many people do use it regularly, I still believe it
has a long way to go.

As I am sure you are aware, the important nature of the Quran as a
central religious text sometimes requires a considered approach. It
could be argued that as many as 1.5 billion people worldwide consider
the Quran to be the literal word of God. In any case, I am very
cautious and conservative with regards to any annotation of the Quran.
With this in mind, the project is being run with the approach of
supervised collaborative annotation. Improvements and suggestions are
collected daily using an online message board forum:
http://corpus.quran.com/messageboard.jsp. This high level of
visibility ensures that potential mistakes are found and corrected, or
at least are discussed in an open manner, where different opinions and
views can be heard.

I am reluctant to release any data from the Quranic Arabic Corpus for
download until it is ready, to a high level of accuracy. Eventually,
the plan is to release all data free of charge under the GNU public
license. So far, the morphological annotation is in my opinion of
sufficiently high quality to merit a public release. Eventually, the
other datasets (the Syntactic Treebank and the Ontology) will be
expanded to cover the entire Quran, and also release free of charge -
hopefully later this year.

However, having said that, I find your project very interesting. You
say that you have been working on this project for the last 5 months?
I would be interested to learn more about your project. What kind of
data have you produced so far? How far have you got with verse
similarly? It would be great to know more about how you are getting on
with this. I would like to help - I would suggest you might look into
the following:

1) Noorhan Abbas' Quran Topic Research -
http://quranytopics.appspot.com (also at the University of Leeds). If
you contact her directly, you may be able to ask her for some of her
data.
2) Abdul-Baquee M. Sharaf is also working on verse similarly. See:
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/scsams
3) I have found that there are many good existing topic indexes of the
Quran, although not often in machine readable form. For example, see:
http://www.harunyahya.com/indexa.php

I would be interested to know more about the knowledge models you have
developed - how do these work?

Kind Regards,

- Kais Dukes

Language Research Group