[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Yes, I agree, emulators are the way to go. Unfortunately Apple does not
officially support them and in fact, if any of the various emulators out
there actually took off commercially, I think Apple would crack down on
them. Many of the developers are fearful of this and for that reason a big
deal is made about copying a ROM you legally own. Not all software is
compatible with them yet either and at least for me, it has taken a great
deal of effort just to get Basilisk working under OSX, much less using it
efficiently. But it is an excellent idea and a great way to go as far as
productivity is concerned and accessing those old files when your original
Mac craps out. I know Mini vMac has been a Godsend, not just for maintaining
my old files, but for organizing my disks for actual use. As for nostalgia,
well we're screwed!

I first tried ShapeShifter in 97 or 98, you know now it as Basilisk II. Shareware the eventually freeware for the amiga. There was SheepShaver for BeOS and Fusion and a dog called Softmac, Apple should have gone after that one. Just about all Mac emulators now from vmac for 68000, Basilisk II for 68020-040, SheepShaver for ppc classic or PearPC for OS8.6-OSX are free and open source, Apple would have a ice cubes chance in hell of cracking down on them. Apple should author one but free and Apple don't mix. I'm not sure what you mean by nostalgia, being able to transfer you old trusty mac to your new computer (regardless of platform) whenever you change machines is surely a good thing

I'm not sure what software is incompatible, more likely a bug in the OSX port of BII or the OS itself. The best 68k mac here is the A1200 running Fusion on a 030/50, it even runs macOS 040 software unlike the 030 macs around here which I have always found interesting.

Let's hope that Apple recognizes the faithful veterans of their company and
rewards us by supporting OSX Classic environments for all of their earlier
systems, not just OS9.

Not likely, your more likely to be dependant on the standard emulators as they are now, all have OSX ports as you have found. For a long time now the "mac on a card" pci card has been coming, Apple could do well out of this, possibly regardless of platform and kill off the emulators as well - just a thought.

So when your Classic breaks down, and you get
to hear that the obsolete little thing can no longer be repaired, all you
can do is buy a new one with OS-X.  Okay so far, but what about your
precious and duly backed up documents, all drawn up in RagTime, which hasn't
been compatible with Apple computers for more than a decade?

Jan mentioned Ragtime, I didn't know a version ran on 68k. Ragtime Solo is a free for personal use spreadsheet, desktop publisher app I've had here since OS8.6. There are Classic, OSX, windows and linux versions. Its a 60~mg download.You should find something on versiontracker.com. If you've seen it and its not what your talking about I'm sorry.