At 16:32 -0800 12/28/05, Thomas wrote:
I have a Mac Plus that I bought new that I am trying to get
operational again.  When it finally became unusable, the screen would
go to a thin vertical line and sometimes it would work again if I
tapped the case.

The analog board - vertical one - has large and small solder joints on it. Often the larger joints are not so good, probably because the soldering time and temperature were set for the small joints.

Have a look with a magnifier and look for cracks in the solder. Watch the connectors to cables that go out to the magnetic deflection coils around the neck of the tube.

The tapping you did often makes a temporary contact - for a while.

--
-->  The best programming tool is a soldering iron <--