On Sunday, August 15, 2010, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Sunday 15 August 2010 16:19:04 Sam Spilsbury wrote:
> > 3.4 Dashboard
> >
> > Unless there is any particular effect that we have in mind for this,
> > is it possible that clients can just set the Above hint in WM_STATE
> > and then set one of the various "animation" properties?
>
> In fact we would like to have a special window type for the dashboard as
> it's more special than just being fullscreen and keep above. But that's
> something either for NETWM or just for KDE as it's really Plasma specific.

Plasma Desktop isn't the only system out there with a dashboard; it could
possibly be the only one on X11, but there is the MacOS dashboard as well.
it's a generally useful concept and one that is, as you note, quite different
from just "keep above".

right now we do a nice appear transition, blur behind, etc. as part of the
dashboard effect and then that window is placed full screen above all other
windows; but that presentation is something that should be completely up to
the window manager imho, so that it can easily be adjusted between window
managers (or over time) without touching the application code.

the app should just say "here is a dashboard window ..."

> I just added the dashboard as it's mentioned in the WindowEffects
> namespace. It's propably one of the effects we don't need in a spec.

it would be nice, though, so that plasma-desktop (and any other future app
providing a similar facility) can work nicely in other window managers.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se