On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 13:54 -0800, David Fotland wrote:
> There is no fixed relationship between ELO and handicap stones.  Stronger
> players have less variation in their play, so a handicap stone is worth more
> ELO points for a stronger player than a weaker player.

What you say is consistent with what I've heard from other sources.

My understanding is that in ELO terms the ranks are compressed at the
higher levels and spread out at lower levels.  So there is less
difference between 4 dan and 5 dan than 15 kyu and 16 kyu for
instance.

If I want to use ELO and also expect the handicaps to be fair, then
I will need to account for this curve.

On the web I see that some ELO based GO servers assume 100 ELO is 1
rank, and do exactly what I proposed, when they handicap they fold
this into the ELO rating of the players for rating purposes.

I would like to do better than that, so what I need is a formula that
can be gradually adjusted by the server.  Something more sophisticated
than just an ELO to stones formula that takes more into consideration
than just the rating difference.

I'm glad you brought this to my attention.

- Don