There are 3 gtp commands for handling this:

  fixed_handicap
  place_free_handicap
  set_free_handicap

You are arguing that fixed_handicap, even though it's quite
explicit, is the wrong one to use in this situation?

set_free_handicap would also work - the server just specifies
the points and tells both engines.

It doesn't matter which we use but I would use the one I thought
would avoid the most confusion.

Which command does KGS use?

- Don