----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Wedd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "computer-go" <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: [computer-go] Sho-Dan-level at 9x9

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
Hi Chrilly,

I find it pretty amazing that even a little money will inspire people
to play a computer who wouldn't otherwise.

Many years ago my old chess programs were welcome at tournaments, but
as soon as players started losing,  the program wore out it's welcome!

The change was like night and day.   We came to one tournament and
almost everyone signed the "refuse to play a computer list."

So I offered 5 dollars for a draw and 10 dollars for a win.  This tiny
incentive caused almost all the players to agree to play the computer
and in fact many players begged to play it.

What was ironic, was that didn't pay out a single penny but everyone was
happy!

I don't think you understand how mean Go players are. Many of them have beards because they are too mean to pay for razors.

Nick
--
I thought that the Go and chess community is different.

Chrilly