The japanese rules have problems and there have been cases where 2
professionals argue about the outcome of a game.  They are not clearly
defined for obscure cases.  In addition, they are not simple.  Ing rules and
chinese rules are both reasonable sets of rules because there is no room for
argument about who wins.  Japanese rules in my opinion shouldn't ever be
used for tournements.

On 1/3/07, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 14:30 -0800, David Doshay wrote:
> I think our only real disagreement is when and where we raise
> the bar. I think we could do it very soon in public tournaments.

But I don't feel any of this is important.   Japanese rules
isn't raising the bar - it's merely a different set of rules.

All that's really important is making your program play as well
as possible.   Japanese rules doesn't have anything to do with
this.

My terminology isn't quite right.  Forgiving ignorance is one
way to look at it,  but it conjures up images of "rewarding
ignorance" in humans and creating problems.   In my view Chinese
is more objective and logical  because it's
fair about penalizing ignorance.   If you play badly,  you
will be penalized and that's fair.   But in Japanese you
get penalized "needlessly" and "extra" in my view for not being sure
about something that I feel doesn't really matter anyway.

Of course I don't have any problem with writing programs that
can handle Japanese rules - but I thought this was already
common?