At 23:17 03/01/2007, Don wrote:

David,

I thought of another way to put it which I think, in a way,
defines the difference in the rule-sets.

You are playing a game, and you think the opponent group
is dead.  But you are not 100 percent sure.

What do you do?  Chinese puts the emphasis on the actual
truth of the situation.   Japanese makes you gamble, and
penalizes you for being wrong.   It makes your opinion
about the situation become a factor in the final result
instead of the board position and your play leading up
to it.

Don, I can see that chinese rules let a player try a speculative
invasion inside his opponents territory at the end of the game
without risk, but you seem to be saying more than this.  Could
you give a 5x5 example or two please?  I had heard that in some
sense, chinese rules require more sophisticated understanding
for perfect play.

It might be best to construct
the example by playing a pretend game so that each player has
played the fair number of stones.

Thanks