On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 05:25 -0800, terry mcintyre wrote:

> Since we can no longer count on doubling single-processor speed every
> 18 months,
> go programs will need to scale across multiple processors. Dual-core
> systems are
> common; a pair of duos can be had for $5K or so. IBM sells
> four dual-core processors
> in a single rackmount chassis, and can be expected to make four
> quad-cores available by
> the end of the year.  Both Intel and AMD have announced multicore
> roadmaps. Less
> well-known processors, such as Sun's UltraSparc T1, have 8 cores and
> up to 32
> simultaneous threads.

It will be interesting to see what happens.   They have predicted this
fall-off
every year but it hasn't happened yet - invariably it will unless
someone
can exploit the laws of physics in a way we don't understand yet.

I suspect we can still get many more doublings even on a single core -
but it may involve significantly different technologies than silicon.

- Don