Assuming that the average divergence from perfect play doubles every say 50
ELO points, you would expect that handicap stone would become worth less as
you went to lower ranks.  And this would also make sense because of how ELO
is defined.  You can imagine that a player that is perfect would only see
one move to play (or more if they are strictly equivalent), but a player 50
ELO weaker might see twice as many "valid games" defined as valid because
both players were playing their best the whole time.  This makes sense
because a handicap stone worth almost nothing to a random player.  It also
makes sense because komi has to be higher as players get better.

On 1/20/07, Ray Tayek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

At 05:30 PM 1/20/2007, you wrote:
> >  I don't really know how  much 1 extra dan represents at this
> level - I think it translates to 200 or
> > more  ELO points.   We can figure this out - what is the win
> expectancy of 5  dan over 4 dan without handicap?
> >
>http://gemma.ujf.cas.cz/~cieply/GO/statev.html
>  4D   30.6% (out of 4000 games)

this seem to non linear. and indicates that the value of one handicap
stone is worth more the stronger you are. which would imply that the
differences between the ranks are greater the higher you go (seems
like it to me).

thanks

---
vice-chair http://ocjug.org/