Van: Matt Gokey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Datum: maandag, januari 22, 2007 9:59 pm
Onderwerp: Re: [computer-go] an idea... computer go program's rank vs
time
> Nick Apperson wrote:
>
> > He is saying this (I think):
> >
> > to read m moves deep with a branching factor of b you need to
> look at p
> > positions, where p is given by the following formula:
> >
> > p = b^m (actually slightly different, but this formula is
> close enough)
> >
> > which is:
> >
> > log(p) = m log(b)
> > m = log(p) / log(b)
> >
> > We assume that a doubling in time should double the number of
> positions
> > we can look at, so:
> >

> > m(with doubled time) = log(2p) / log(b)
> > m(with doubled time) = log(2) * log(p) / log(b)
> Your math is wrong (I think).
>
> The correct equivalency for the last line would be:
> m(with doubled time) = (log(2) + log(p)) / log(b)

Yes. Don's scalability argument states that ELO gain is proportional
to time doubling.
For me scalable use of time implies that time translates into depth.
The extra depth is:

m - m0 = log(2)/log(b).

So if the ELO gain for time doubling in Chess equals 100 over a wide
time scale and if Go has a 10 times larger branching factor than
Chess, then the ELO gain for time doubling in Go would equal 100/log
(10) = 43 (everything else assumed equal).

I'm not sure i agree with Don, but i just want so say that if he is
right, than mathematically he is also right with a larger branching
factor.

Dave