question:

should " if ( (bs + bt) - (ws - wt) > komi ) then black_wins else
white_wins." be " if ( (bs + bt) - (ws + wt) > komi ) then black_wins else
white_wins." ?  or maybe you meant "if ( (bs + bt - ws - wt) > komi ) then
black_wins else white_wins." ?

and floats are rounded down when converting to ints so even with komi as a
float this should work.  This is how I do it too.