Jacques Basaldúa wrote:
Very good analysis and I would like to contribute a 4th reason:

As Luke Gustafson pointed out, we have to contemplate the simulation
as a _stochastic process_. We want to determine the conditional probability of a win given a particular move is made. And that depends on the _length of the simulation_. Dramatically! This is a reason against scalability of global search MC/UCT. If the simulation is
500 moves long (Chinese rules with recaptures, etc.) the observed
variance at an early move blurs out everything.

Just a simple stochastic process: Count a dollar each time you
correctly predict a p=1/2 coin thrown n=500 times. The expected
average is (obviously) 250, but the expected variance of that measure is n·p·(1-p) = 125 proportional to n.
Good point. This leads to another thought that I have been wondering about. That is I question whether using more time to search more simulations in the opening is the best approach. For the opening, selecting reasonable robust moves that tend to lead to more favorable options is probably a good objective. The lengths of the simulation are perhaps too long to expect anything better. Later towards the pre-middle to middle game it is very critical to play such that the positions tactical potential is exploited such to secure connections and eye space, etc. It would seem to me that focusing the highest concentration of time and number of simulations during this part of the game might be most advantageous.

It would be interesting for someone with a decent MC player to do an experiment like this with one version concentrating highest number of simulations in the opening and one concentrating in the middle game, but otherwise equal and see which version wins more often.