What sort of sampling was used for the playouts? For this variable (
incorporating some information about the score vs only the win-loss variable ),
does it make a difference whether playouts are totally random or incorporate
varying degrees of similitude to good play?

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

     I should have mentioned that I have only tested on 9x9. For larger boards,
I don't know.

- Dave Hillis

     Intuitively, it seems like this should work. You only give the winning
margin a small weight, or only use it to break ties, or only apply it after the
game is already decided. I've tried many variations, as have others, including
your exact algorithm above. It can make some moves look a little prettier, but
it always causes problems and I have to take it out.

     I have my theories as to why that is, but for brevity's sake, in my
experience, giving any consideration to winning margin is detrimental. After
the game is decided, there are more elegant ways to bring it to a close. I came
to this conclusion reluctantly.