Le jeudi 8 février 2007 20:12, Sylvain Gelly a écrit :
> > One simple explaination could be that a random player shamelessly tries
> > "all"
> > moves (very bad ones but also very nice tesuji) whereas the "stronger"
> > player
> > is restricted by its knowledge and will always miss some kind of moves.
>
> Here we are not speeking about the pruning in the tree, but the
> simulation player. The tree must explore every move, to avoid missing
> important ones. However we totally don't care if all possible games
> can or not be played by the simulation player. What we care about is
> the expectation of the wins by self play.
> If the simulation player sometimes play meaningful sequences but with
> a very small probability, then it has very little influence on the
> expectation.

It seems i was ambiguous: I was speaking of the simulation player too.
What i meant is a random simulation player is not biased, whereas a "better"
simulation player is biased by its knowledge, and thus can give wrong
evaluation of a position.

A trivial example is GNU Go: its analyze is "sometimes" wrong. Even if it
is obviously much stronger than a random player, it would give wrong result if
used as a simulation player. David Doshay experiments with SlugGo showed that
searching very deep/wide does not improve a lot the strength of the engine,
which is bound by the underlying weaknesses of GNU Go.

Or maybe i just understood nothing of what you explained ;)
Alain