Does anyone know of a document outlining the IGS protocol?

There are a number of programs and servers which support the IGS
protocol, including the IGS server. I am trying write a tool to
interact with these servers and would prefer not to have to reverse
engineer the protocol from the programs, especially since most
implement only a very small handful of commands.

I'm aware of http://panda-igs.joyjoy.net/java/gGo/igscp/IGSCP_draft.txt
which is a set of extensions to the protocol, but which doesn't really
discuss the protocol itself.

The activities I'm interested in engaging with are:
a) finding players worthy of watching
b) watching their games
c) playing games myself

So I think I'm looking at most of the protocol.

I'm currently not having much luck by trial and error, since at least
one server locks out badly behaved clients...

cheers
stuart