Given your original description I'm not so sure if what you're doing should
actually be called a nearest neighbor method. It may be more like a decision
tree... This said, the curse of dimensionality is a general problem which
can come up with all similarity/distance based approaches using finite
datasets. IMO the biggest problem with nearest neighbour methods in
particular is that, regardless of dimensionality, they will not converge to
the optimal Bayes solution but instead only to a proportional classifier.
This is only acceptable if you don't have overlapping classes.

Erik