At 06:17 AM 4/6/2007, you wrote:
On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 13:48 +0100, Jacques BasaldĂșa wrote:
> Darren Cook wrote:
>
>  > All except joseki-knowledge is board-size independent.
>
> Maybe human player's adapt to different board sizes without
> even noticing. But if you try to model strategy with algorithms
> it is totally board size dependent.

Doesn't that just imply the model is incorrect?   If the model
captures the true spirit of the game, it shouldn't matter.

There may be some formal (but likely complex) way to describe a
correct opening play strategy on any size board that is not
board-size dependent.

mr. yang uses the ideas of short and long extensions and high-low combinations in the beginning. (a short extension being 1 or spaces and a long being ideally 5 spaces). this tends to be eficient.

   I'll try to give an example:

  On small boards, it seems like it's correct to play to the
  center point on the first move?   Why?   The rule: always
  play to the center point might NOT be a board size independent
  strategy but might work well for boards smaller than say 11x11.
  But if you could capture the REASON for this,  you might be
  able to formulate a better strategy for playing the first
  move that would work on all boards.

playing in the center on a large board is reasonable. the trick is to make the stone useful. on a large board, this leads to an unusual style of play. black wins all ladders and has an advantage in all fights. many josekis are unfavorable for white.

There are underlying reasons for everything and that is what must
be captured to achieve a boardsize independent strategy.

Of course I'm getting rather theoretical.  I understand that you
are looking for practical solutions and approximations.

i suspect that the short/long and high/low heuristic would be useful during the fuseki stage.

thanks

---
vice-chair http://ocjug.org/