I am not a Java expert, so some of what I say here might be
wrong/outdated. I don't think JIT can make Java as fast as C/C++.
There are still things Java does in ways that cannot be fast. For
instance, you can't construct objects on the stack, so you need to use
the heap for everything. Also, passing everything by pointer (as I
think Java does under the hood) requires many dereferences that can
end up being expensive. Then you have the garbage collector, which
will run at poorly specified times, making your program slower perhaps
when you most need speed.

In general, there is more abstraction from the way the hardware works,
and that almost inevitably costs you in performance. C++ manages to
abstract many things while staying fast, but then you pay the cost in
complexity. C keeps you quite close to the machine, but it's so simple
that common tasks (like string manipulation) are really hard to
implement.

It's all a matter of balance. My personal preference at this point is
C++ without going overboard with the more difficult aspects of the
language, like template meta-programming. But I can understand why
people make other choices.

Álvaro.