George Dahl wrote:

Is it still cheating if the program learns and discover's the patterns itself? Then isn't it just precomputing a few things?

I agree. Many chess and go grand masters, e.g. Capablanca
are supposed to have learned the game as children by watching others play. I do intensive research on my 50K masters games and for me, mastering the game by learning from the masters is the supreme form of intelligence. Except "copying" a full
board, of course. But full board databases also make sense
because they save time and avoid the "empty sheet syndrome"
(i don't know how that is called in English) writers suffer.
There in not much to reason about an empty board.

Jacques.