On 7/12/07, Robert Jasiek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jason House wrote:
> I personally find territory scoring more interesting.  90% of my
> reason
> for that is because the game ends sooner... I don't have to go filling
dame
> (open spaces between chains of opposing colors).

This is for most part an illusion. In real world games, the dame are
filled anyway. In go server games, it depends on the server whether
filling is meaningful. E.g., on KGS it is essential because KGS makes
scoring mistakes otherwise. E.g., on IGS it is undefined whether it
would be meaningful or not.

IMHO, KGS does a fine job with unfilled dame.  It only finds lost points
that would be because dame filling causes a chain to be in atari.  Honestly,
a more complex attack could be missed by the opponent and it seems
reasonable for KGS to miss it too.  Occasionally, I'll fill dame to force
the opponent to acknowledge a more involved vulnerability and fill it.

I checked my recent personal game record to see how this applies "in the
real world".  For this month, I had 5 relevant games (vs. human, no
resignation).  On average, 4 dame remain unfilled in one of my games.  It
seems like most games that number of unfilled dame are low (0,3,4,4), but
occasionally there can be a lot (10).

4 dame unfilled: http://files.gokgs.com/games/2007/7/10/Touch-jhouse.sgf
0 dame unfilled: http://files.gokgs.com/games/2007/7/9/teee-jhouse.sgf
10 dame unfilled: http://files.gokgs.com/games/2007/7/3/bearkid-jhouse.sgf