Pass is just as good as a null move - it's the same and it isn't an
issue that hurts null move pruning.

But null move pruning isn't just about the null move.  It's about the
subsequent search reduction that goes with it, otherwise it's no saving.

In GO, threats tend to be very indirect and distant, at least from the
point of view of a naive search algorithm and this is a real killer to
the idea - my feeling is that null move in GO is not workable.   Perhaps
if a really good static evaluation came along that was sensitive to the
urgency of a threat it would be workable - but I doubt it.

- - Don