On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 01:33:07PM -0400, Jason House wrote:
> I don't think MC evaluation favors stable groups.

I guess I didn't really say what I meant here. MC evaluation sees weaknesses
in groups that can be killed by random play, even if they are safe enough in
the eyes of human players. For example a group with one long eye, 4 points
long, is considered unconditionally alive, but a MC evaluator sees some
chance in killing it, because the defending side plays pure random, and is as
likely to shorten it to 3-space eye as to split it in two independent eyes.
In real games this may not make much of a difference, but it is possible to
construct positions that get evaluated wrong by MC. Perhaps a clever program
might even take advantage of such...

> It's really a function of the perceived chances of winning.  When behind,
> it'll play bold moves since it's the only real way to win.  An MC bot that
> is behind in endgame (even if by 1/2 point) plays so wildly, it frequently
> loses all of its stones!  When an MC bot is ahead, it'll play safe moves
> that help guarantee a coast to victory (many times by 1/2 point).

I think you are reading a bit too much intention into its play. When the game
is already decided, it makes no difference where to play. So a pure MC
program will end up playing totally random. If it is winning, it will happily
let parts of a group die, as long as that does not change the result. If
behind, it will not try to collect small points here and there, but just play
where ever - often leading to death and destruction among its own groups.

 -H

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk