> By the way: a 9x9 CGOS server using japanese rules... I have a dream.. ;)
>

> Lars

Hi Lars,

I don't want to get too philosophical here and start another "rules
debate" so I'll start by saying that I'm not that interested in rules as
such.  It's way more interesting to me to focus on playing strength.
Japanese rules is a fairly large diversion from this in my opinion.

When I designed CGOS I didn't want to get involved with the complexities
of Japanese scoring because the real motivation for CGOS was to
encourage the development of strong playing Go programs.    I wanted it
to be as easy as possible to get started in this, not just for the
program developers, but also for myself.    How do you score Japanese
games correctly in an automated way in the face of program disputes?
   There was a lot of discussion about this at one point - one of them
being to let gnugo score the games.   But of course it involves more
protocol to the server such as dead stone agreement and such.    Nothing
that isn't possible, but it makes things way more complicated for
everybody.    For a server like CGOS it's a heavy price to pay.

As Nick Wedd observed, it's very difficult to get all the program
authors to get the software correct for any kind of  protocol.    Of
course if I were to do it,  I would simply set up the rules and the
protocol and I would not be forgiving of program error  (it would be up
to the programmer to get it right or risk losing games.)

It's already like that on CGOS.   Some programs don't do  positions
super ko correctly and they sometimes lose games.   I get a report every
month or two about this,  claiming CGOS doesn't know how to handle Ko
properly but in every case the complainant was wrong.    I can easily
imagine what it would be like with Japanese rules.   I would be getting
hammered with sincere pleads to "check the code" because they are sure
it's wrong.     I chased down every case of the KO bug, I never ignored
the complainant just because I knew they would be wrong but  I wanted to
give them the satisfaction that I checked it out with an open mind (ok,
I admit my mind wasn't open - I knew they were wrong but I still always
did the homework to set their mind at ease.)

Since you have a dream - I will tell you my dream.   I wish there was a
single set of standardized rules that everyone in the world honored.
These rules would promote the game by being as simple as possible so
that beginners would understand it.    Japanese rules have almost
certainly hurt the game in Western cultures.   I believe this because I
almost didn't discover the game due to these rules - you simply cannot
understand Japanese rules without already being good at the game.
With Chinese rules, you can learn the rules quickly.

Having said all of that,  I'm very interested in Japanese scoring from
an engineering point of view.   I think it would interesting challenge
and a lot of fun making my own program able to handle them
properly.      Of course this is a requirement for a serious commercial
program.     I have a un-serious commercial palm program that does not
know Japanese and it's a requested feature, although not heavily requested.

I acknowledge that Japanese rules are popular and here to stay.    I
would really get interested if I had a strong program and I was in the
"polishing" phase of program development, where you provide a fancy GUI
and lots of cool features.     Even then, it's a lot of work because
there is not such thing as one set of Japanese rules,  there are many
variations.     In fact it would be interesting to enumerate those
variations, such as ko, komi,  handicap system (should there be
"compensation"), suicide,  time-control and so on.   There is surely a
sensei page on this.

- Don