From: Jeff Nowakowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 6, 2007 5:28:29 PM
Subject: Re: [computer-go] use for Monte Carlo on 19X19?

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 16:55 -0500, Don Dailey wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Yes, I agree with your points.    Well behaved on CGOS means that
 your
> bot will resign as soon as it knows it's losing.

I think when a bot should resign is a matter of personal preference.  I
myself prefer to see games played out if it's somewhat close or very
near the end.  If there's a handful of moves left what's the point of
resigning?

> But against humans it should technically be the same, but isn't.
  When
> playing against humans a bot needs to be able to mark dead groups.

I have the same feelings whether it's a bot vs bot game or bot vs
 human.
As for marking dead stones, obviously a bot needs to be able to against
humans, and I never suggested otherwise.  My only point is that you
don't need territory scoring rules for this.

-Jeff