On Dec 18, 2007 3:12 PM, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Harald Korneliussen wrote:
> > Some thinking out loud here on the topic of languages and efficiency:
> >
> > I'd like to know how well MoGo would have played if you let it think
> > for a week for every move. Only it seems to me that is not possible,
> > because I don't think MoGo will run for a week without crashing.
> > Crazystone also crashes quite a lot, if I understand the comments in
> > KGS logs correctly.
> >
> Memory is an issue with these programs,  since they build tree's and
> maintain them in memory.   So none of these programs can think for more
> than a few minutes per move.

dimwit gets around this problem by increasing the number of visits required
before a node is added to the UCT structure as the structure gets big. This
works fairly well, and I can let it run for hours on a position. However,
the standard boost of the uncertainty in the score by
sqrt(log(total_visits)) grows way too slow, and the main line goes way too
deep, without giving other moves a fair chance.

I suspect that for very long time controls we would be better off turning
UCT (with, say 10K playouts)  into an evaluation function and then using
alpha-beta on top of it.

Álvaro.