Has anyone here taken a serious look at scala the programming language?

It seems (to me) to be a very high level functionally oriented Java.
Part of the reason I don't like Java is because it's such a low level
language (might as well program in C),  but this language has a very
nice high level scripting language feel to it.

It appears to be about as fast as Java - it produces java bytecodes, and
uses java libraries - but it isn't java.    It's also a functional
language (functions are first class.)

It is statically typed,  but much of this is hidden from view by type
inference.

Any opinions on it?      I probably won't do GO with it,  but I've been
looking for a really fast high level language that has batteries
included and is cross platform.     This seems to fit the bill more than
anything so far.