David Fotland wrote:
The styles of CS (CS-9-17-10k-1CPU), MFGO (mfgo12exp-15), and GNUGO
(gnugo3.7.10_10) are different, and it's generating some odd results.

Many Faces beats GnuGo 70%.  There are not many games, but this is
consistent with over 100 test games I've run.
CS beats GnuGo 55%.  Over 100 games played.
CS beats Many Faces 90%.  Only 20 games, but consistent with earlier
results.

If we look at results against GnuGo, Many Faces seems stronger than CS, but
in games against CS, Many Faces is much weaker.

Many Faces plays a fighting style, and CS plays a territorial style, but I'm
still surprised at the difference.

David

I noticed that too. My feeling is that is because MF is a classical program with a global search, GNU a classical program with no global search, and Crazy Stone a MC program. MF beats GNU thanks to global search. But MF's strength without the global search (whatever that would mean) is inferior to that of GNU. CS also has a global search, so MF's global-search advantage does not work against CS.

I guess that KCC Igo had the same problem as MF against Crazy Stone.

I thought about a model for multi-dimensional Elo ratings once (don't give only one value to each player, but two or three, with an appropriate formula for predicting game outcome). Maybe I'll try it on CGOS data when I have time. This would not rate players along a one-dimensional line. Here is a reference to a similar idea:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jspi.2004.05.008

     Abstract

The Bradley–Terry model is widely and often beneficially used to rank objects from paired comparisons. The underlying assumption that makes ranking possible is the existence of a latent linear scale of merit or equivalently of a kind of transitiveness of the preference. However, in some situations such as sensory comparisons of products, this assumption can be unrealistic. In these contexts, although the Bradley–Terry model appears to be significantly interesting, the linear ranking does not make sense. Our aim is to propose a 2-dimensional extension of the Bradley–Terry model that accounts for interactions between the compared objects. From a methodological point of view, this proposition can be seen as a multidimensional scaling approach in the context of a logistic model for binomial data. Maximum likelihood is investigated and asymptotic properties are derived in order to construct confidence ellipses on the diagram of the 2-dimensional scores. It is shown by an illustrative example based on real sensory data on how to use the 2-dimensional model to inspect the lack-of-fit of the Bradley–Terry model.

Rémi