Of course everyone will see this differently.  For me the fundamental
difference between 9x9 and 19x19 is obvious.  People play 19x19 seriously
and have for at least 2000 years.  A commercial program has to play 19x19
well, and has to play by Japanese rules.  It has to be enjoyable to play
against.

You are absolutely right that 9x9 go and CGOS has made a huge contribution
to computer go by stimulating interest until the new algorithms surpassed
the old style of program.

I'll admit that I was skeptical that monte carlo would scale to 19x19, and
clearly I was wrong.  Maybe I misremember the early debates, but I think the
argument from the UCT/MC side was that fast pure-random playouts were
scalable and would do well on 19x19.  The pure random playouts got quite
strong at 9x9, and there was much discussion about how to make playouts
faster, how to implement fast pseudo-liberties, etc.  When I was skeptical
that this pure random approach would scale to 19x19, I was correct.

So I think it is true that the early algorithms did not scale, and 19x19
required something new (patterns and local sequences).

David