(I typed the following up earlier today, before other people cast some
doubts about what "infinite scalability" means.  Perhaps it is
helpful.)

I think that Alain was specifically referring to a property of UCT,
whereby given that a winning line of play exists, the probability that
the algorithm has discovered one such line & settled upon it
approaches 1 as time approaches infinity.  I believe that this has
been proven.  And no, this theoretical result does not represent any
intrinsic advantage over a calculation of the minimax value.  (Someone
should feel free to correct me if there is a stronger theoretical
result that I am not aware of, though.)

I think it is important to understand that unless you restrict UCT
from exploring some correct lines of play, this "infinite scalability"
will still be true.  And, it is true regardless of what moves have
been preferred/pruned/whatever within the MC playouts.  (Or whatever
one does at the leaf nodes; it need not be MC at all, as long as the
UCT tree eventually gets expanded as the node is revisited.)

This is not to say that this particular property of UCT is sufficient
in order for us to claim that UCT is scalable in practice.  My point
is rather that noone is claiming "infinite scalability of MC", but
rather scalability of UCT.  When you combine that with the fact that
UCT has been very successful at 9x9 go, (and scalable across a wide
range of time limits) it seems to be reasonable to expect more of the
same in 19x19.  (Which is what concerned the original poster.)  Also,
one should expect that the UCT portion of MC-UCT will tend to
eventually "fix up" any systematic errors that are made by the MC
playouts.

I have one other point I'd like to make, in regard to "light" versus
"heavy" playouts:  Even "light" playouts do not actually use a uniform
distribution, due to the quasi-eye rule that is generally used.  I
think that there is every reason to expect that other "nonuniform"
playout policies further outperform "light" playouts in every
practical way.  Granted, it is possible to introduce "severe
misconceptions" when one incorporates knowledge into one's playouts.
But even in that case, one can still fall back on the fact that UCT is
cleaning up after one's mistakes:  the eventual behavior, given enough
time, is still perfect play.  (And of course it is not as if people
blindly adjust the monte carlo policies without checking the revised
versions for "severe misconceptions".)

Weston