How does 500 elo points compare to kyu ranks?

Beginning players do improve by 4-5 ranks in a short
period of time. We don't all start as dan-level
players, alas!

--- Christoph Birk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Andy wrote:
> > For example:  Suppose a player's true strength is
> 1500 for some time, and
> > then he suddenly improves to 2000.  Both before
> and after he plays a fixed
> > number of games per day (say 10).  Show a graph of
> what each rating
> > algorithm would think his rating is over time.
> Many people complain that
> > the KGS algorithm does not move fast enough for a
> case like this.
>
> I think that's a bad example since no player
> "suddenly" improves
> by 500 ELO points.
>
> Christoph

Terry McIntyre &lt;[EMAIL PROTECTED]&gt;

“Wherever is found what is called a paternal government, there is found state
education. It has been discovered that the best way to insure implicit
obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery.”

Benjamin Disraeli, Speech in the House of Commons [June 15, 1874]