magnus,

I hate to ask the obvious, but how much time does each simulation
take?

If 100 simulations would be enough information to get it out of its
rut, why not just check every legal move for (say) 100 simulations before doing
anything else?

on another note, i think that it's cool that you have a board situation
that exhibits such borderline behavior (i.e. that it takes relatively few
simulations to fix the problem, but that the code as it stood would never
find the problem on its own).

steve.