David Fotland wrote:
> So I'm curious then.  With simple UCT (no rave, no priors, no progressive
> widening), many people said the best constant was about 0.45. What are the
> new concepts that let you avoid the constant?

Whatever concepts are used it must indirectly be a question of
improved move ordering. The better the move ordering, the smaller the
need to do exploration.

> Is it RAVE, because the information gathered during the search lets you
> focus the search accurately without the UCT term?  Many people have said
> that RAVE has no benefit for them.
>
> Do most of the strongest programs use RAVE?  I think from Crazystone's
> papers, that it does not use RAVE.  Gnugomc does not use rave.

I've never had success with RAVE but I might make a new attempt for
GNU Go some time.

> Is it the prior values from go knowledge, like opening books, reading
> tactics before the search etc?  Do all of the top programs have opening
> books now?  I know mogo does.

The MonteGNU account on CGOS (9x9) has a self-learnt opening book with
currently slightly more than 16000 moves. Over the last 1000 games it
has played on average 4 moves (own moves that is, opponent moves not
counted) from the book. The record is 22 moves from book.

> Do most of the top programs read tactics before the search?  I know Aya
> does.

GNU Go in Monte Carlo mode reads lots of tactics before the MC search.
But it doesn't use the tactics for the MC search. :-/

> Does it matter how prior values are used to guide the search? I think mogo
> uses prior knowledge to initialize the RAVE values.  Do other programs
> include it some other way, by initializing the FPU value, or by initializing > the UCT visits and confidence, or some extra, "prior" term in the equation?
>
> Are there other techniques (not RAVE) that people are using to get
> information from the search to guide the move ordering? I think crazystone
> estimates ownership of each point and uses it to set prior values in some
> way.

GNU Go uses a global move ordering shared by all nodes in the tree and
initialized from the results of the normal move generation.

/Gunnar