Heikki Levanto wrote:
In addition, xor_shift is better than builtin rand() and faster and
much smaller than MT.

I don't know that much about random numbers, so excuse my ignorance. But a
bit of googling got me to the Park - Miller Minimal Standard random number
generator http://www.firstpr.com.au/dsp/rand31/p1192-park.pdf
That reference goes back to 1988 and what it comes to random number generators that is ancient. Is there a modern analysis of this generator anywhere?

- Don

>From what I read, it should be quite sufficient for go programs. It is
dead simple and fast:

long int pmrand() {
    const long int a=16807;
    const long int m= ( 1 << 31 ) -1;
    pmrandseed = ( pmrandseed * a ) % m ;
    return pmrandseed;
} /* pmrand */

Should I worry about this not being good enough?
  - Heikki