Please find below preliminary rules for the computer Go tournament to be held at this year's US Go Congress in Portland, Oregon. Obviously, some details are being finalized.

If you can think of anything here (or not here) that could cause trouble, please let me know ASAP. I'd like the tournament to run as smoothly as possible.

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/

Tournament Director
Peter Drake (AND CO-DIRECTOR?)

Description
This 19x19 tournament is for computer programs only. While there have been notable breakthroughs in recent years, computer Go remains an open problem in artificial intelligence research.

Location
NEED LOCATION

Schedule
Round 1 1:00 PM, Sunday, August 3
Round 2 3:30 PM, Sunday, August 3
Round 3 7:00 PM, Sunday, August 3
Round 4 1:00 PM, Monday, August 4
Round 5 3:30 PM, Monday, August 4
Round 6 7:00 PM, Monday, August 4
Round 7 1:00 PM, Tuesday, August 5
Round 8 3:30 PM, Tuesday, August 5
Round 9 7:00 PM, Tuesday, August 5

Time Limits
60 minutes per player, no byo-yomi.

Rules
To give programmers as much time as possible to work out networking bugs, we will use the same rules as the monthly KGS computer go tournaments. These rules can be found at http://www.weddslist.com/ kgs/. Of particular note are that programs must implement GTP and that Chinese (area) scoring is used.

All hardware must be physically present in the competition room. Programmers may bring their own hardware; we will also provide some machines (NEED DESCRIPTION).

This is a formal tournament, meaning that people may not, for example, enter a-modified version of a public-domain program such as GNU Go. (See the web page above for a more detailed description.) Programmers who cannot attend the Congress may send alternate operators.

Prizes
Prize money has been donated by Hierarchical Systems Research Foundation and OTHER DONORS:

1st place       $500
2nd place       $300
3rd place       $150
4th place       $50