David Doshay wrote:
On 17, Jul 2008, at 1:34 PM, terry mcintyre wrote:

--- On Thu, 7/17/08, David Doshay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: David Doshay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My program runs on a cluster ... no way around that.

David, you're just not taking full advantage of Virtualization ... simply emulate multiple VMs on a single computer; there may be a performance penalty. ;)

It is actually one step easier than that. MPI lets one do it directly without all of the multiple VMs. And hey, just like your smiley indicates, if I emulate 64 machines I "only" have a factor of maybe 65 in speed hit!! Wow, my program could finish a one hour game in only 65 hours!

I do appreciate having some head-to-head competitions using similar hardware, but I also want to see unlimited open class competition, where people are able to run multiprocessors, and learn to scale algorithms to big-n processors. We'll all have 1000 processors on our desktops in a few years anyhow, might as well iron out the problems now.

getting further off-topic in a somewhat off-topic thread, I have my doubts about common desktops moving much past 8 or so cores. That is about the max number of things most users will try to run at one time.

Hmmm. I could use as many cores as you can give me - but the average won't, just as you say.

The issue I think will come down to software technology - will applications start popping up that are able to utilize more and more cores? If so, then more cores will always equal more usable capability, even for non-savvy users.

Maybe the truth is somewhere between? I already know of people with core 2 duo computers that remain mostly idle even as they are sitting in front of them.

- Don

Cheers,
David