On Jul 17, 2008, at 9:51 PM, tk424 wrote:

Hello,

The first question is how to prove the new influence function is better the old one. I believe it can be said the new influence function is better if the new GNU Go wins more games, in average, than the old one. The rest of the parts will stay the same.

T Kim

Self-play seems like a good smoke-test for whether your influence function is any better than the existing one. Self-play should not be used to determine *how* much better, however.

GNU Go also has an extensive suite of regression tests. Examining its breakage should give you many hints on how your changes to the influence function interact with other parts of the program. I would not be surprised if other components are tuned to the existing algorithm and would need adjustment.

Ian