On Aug 9, 2008, at 6:01 PM, Don Dailey wrote:
On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 01:59 +0200, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
On Aug 9, 2008, at 9:45 PM, Don Dailey wrote:

I'm curious what you guys think about the scalability of monte carlo
with UCT.

The MCTS technique appears to be extremely scalable. The theoretical
papers about it claim that it scales up to perfect play in theory.

We agree here that this is not true of course.

No, I think we disagree this time my friend!

Monte Carlo of course by itself is not scalable. But when combined with tree search such as UCT, it is equivalent to a mini-max search with a
high quality evaluation at leaf nodes.   It's scalable because the
longer it searches, the more it acts like a proper mini-max search.

Well said, Don.

Christoph