On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 08:08 -0700, terry mcintyre wrote:
> > From: Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > I've always had this idea that the best way to build a book might also
> > be the best way to build a game playing program.   For instance we have
> > done these big studies to determine based on games of Leela and others
> > what the best main line of play is.    Computer Chess programs analyze
> > huge databases of games and make tree's sometimes to build opening
> > books.
> >
> > But it seems like this resembles to a remarkable degree a Monte Carlo
> > Tree Search program.
>
> Yes, there are analogies. The databases of games in  Chess include many
> high-quality grandmaster-level games, do they not? I hope that Go databases
> also sample professional Dan-level games, otherwise we're just diving into a
> pool of ignorance and drawing up a sample.

The downside is of course that little exploration is done.   In chess it
is still common to find "theoretical novelties" or previously unknown
moves that turn out to be be interesting or even good.   So mini-maxing
the choices of Grandmasters is not going to be innovative.

Even MCTS depends on a certain amount of exploration (as opposed to
exploitation.)   I guess you could view chess opening theory as this
huge tree built up over decades of time by very intelligent agents.

> Joseki databases are "brittle" in a sense. Playing the "almost right" move is
> often a failure. I was just reading a particular line in "38 Basic Joseki",
> where the author commented that if White plays A in a certain diagram, Black
> should reply with B; a difficult semeai follows, which Black wins by one move
> if he plays correctly. The result is a gain for Black. On the other hand, if
> Black does not know how to play that dificult semeai, Black should not start
> down that path at all; it will be a gain for White.

I've always thought Joseki for computers is pretty dicey, but I'm not
really qualified to judge this well as I don't play go.    But perhaps
joseki is nothing more that a pattern database to suggest moves and you
still just combine it with MCTS?

- Don