On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 16:57 -0400, John Tromp wrote:
> Claus Reinke wrote:
> >As for me, i'm really NOT interested in knowing "what langage is good for go
> >programming". That's simply not a question i can ask myself, nor anyone else.
> > This question doesn't make any sense for me. Still if someone can get the
> >"standard light playout" right in less than 10 code line, and they are very
> >understandable lines. I would be very happy to see it. But it would never
> >mean for me that, "this language is BEST". Even if the peformances are
> >optimal there. I think 90% of the "this language is the best" debate gets
> >it's
> >root in some affective part of the people engaged with it.
>
> If, instead of asking what is the best language for writing a strong Go
> playing
> program, we ask what is the best language for clealry expressing the rules of
> Go
> (recognizing and scoring legal games), then I think Haskell
> (http://www.haskell.org/)
> deserves some consideration. See my attempt at
>
> http://www.cwi.nl/~tromp/go/Go.hs
>
> Such programs go a long way toward removing all ambiguity from informal
> (e.g. English language) rule statements.

That's another question of course, but a good one.   Haskell is probably
one the better languages for expressing an algorithm like this.   It
would require each entrant to be "judged" of course.

To answer Denis whom you quote above, I'm not REALLY asking which
language is best, or good, for go.   I realize that is fruitless and
that there is no correct answer.

It's more of a contest to see who can write the highest performing
"conforming" version of this bot and to see what language they choose to
write it in.

You are free to write it any way you want as long as I cannot prove
(empirically) that something is wrong with it, i.e. that it has
different behavior than a trusted reference bot.

- Don