AMAF is very powerful.   It's all in the details of course but for a
given level of CPU effort,  you can pull more information using AMAF.

I think the way it's used in strong programs is that it's gradually
phased out,  which is probably the best way to use it.   At some point
AMAF loses to pure first move statistics but it gets you going quickly
in the right direction.

Simple bots of course do not scale beyond a certain point.  AMAF reaches
the point of seriously diminishing returns very quickly.  Without AMAF
you would probably go a little farther  but it would take a lot more
effort to get there.   So a 3000 playout bot using AMAF is already close
to that point but without AMAF it would take an order of magnitude more
playouts (or more) to reach the same level.

- Don