OK, after dicking about for a few hours with git and Mercurial I decided against using any of them. I keep getting errors or completely fail to understand how it works. It's just not intuitive enough to get going quickly.

Moreover, if my goal is to get newcomers up and running quickly, I don't want to put them through the same pain. I'm quite comfortable with Subversion and I feel confident to get someone up to speed very quickly using Eclipse. I don't know how to do that with either git or Mercurial. It's probably possible. But not by me at this point in time.

So I think I'm just going to use an online Subversion repository again. To avoid confusion I think it would be better not to use my existing project I have at dev.java.net. So I'll have to request a new project. On my own computer I've called it GoPluginFramework but I'm not sure if that's a good name. Basically what it does is allow someone to implement a relatively simple engine interface and have it act as a GTP program. For that you don't really need the whole project, only the JAR containing the Java application and drop your own JAR containing an engine implementation in the same directory. Then I have another project with a very simple random engine, which I called GoEngineTemplate. I expect this would be copied and then renamed by people wanting to start their own engine. And a third project has my reference bot.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Suggestions for a project name(s) and suggestions how to best organize it. Should I put all three projects under the same online project, or create separate projects for them?

Mark