To: <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2008 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: [computer-go] OT: Harder than go?

Where "harder" means the gap between top programs and top human players
is bigger, are there any games harder than go? Including games of
imperfect information, multi-player games, single-player puzzle games.

Poetry contests?

I caught the smiley, but if you can define the rules (such that a
mechanical referee can decide the winner, as in all games from go to
poker to scrabble) then I guess the computer would be strong [1].

Thanks for the Arimaa and Havannah suggestions; I'd not heard of
Havannah before. I see both have bets by humans that they'll not be
beaten any time soon.

David, is MCTS likely to be useful for Arimaa?

Darren

[1]: Though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrabble#Computer_players is
ambiguous about if computer scrabble players are stronger than human
players or not.

http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (English-Japanese-German-Chinese-Arabic
                       open source dictionary/semantic network)