Ingo Althöfer wrote:
Michael Goetze wrote:
I doubt that this rule has a significant effect on playing strength, either of computers or humans. After all, the average effect is about half a point per game, which you probably won't notice below the level of amateur 6d or 7d.

You are right, and I did not state clearly what I had in mind:
play on small boards (like 9x9 or even 7x7). Especially,
there Seki situations are (much) more frequent than on
larger boards.

I think this effect is often overstated. None of the lines believed to be optimal play on 7x7 ends in a seki.

http://senseis.xmp.net/?7x7BestPlay
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~tromp/java/go/7x7.sgf

Concerning the next Computer Olympiad and having in mind
the discussion on the last one ("how fair is 7.5 komi for
9x9 computer games?") the WMSG scoring should be worth
to be discussed for 9x9.

I wasn't subscribed to the list at the time, but I've read that discussion, and must say I consider many of the things said there to be silly. If you have a problem because you're using komi of 7.5, and the correct komi is probably 7, then changing the komi to 6.5 won't solve that problem at all! Similarily, there will be a komi which is correct for 9x9 in a game theoretical sense for WMSG rules, and it might be 7, or 6, or 8, but it certainly won't be 6.5 or 7.5.

So, please, don't try to alleviate the symptoms of this problem. Instead, solve it at the root: change the komi to 7, and come up with a tournament system which can deal with jigos.

Regards,
Michael