From: Magnus Persson <magnus.pers...@phmp.se>
To: computer-go@computer-go.org
Subject: Re: [computer-go] Can't get on CGOS
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 16:14:48 +0100

Ok, here is what I do to connect to CGOS using Windows XP.

This citation is from the a box on the CGOS page:

"A note for Windows users:  If you choose the Multi-platform starkit
route, please note that there are 2 types of tclkit's for your
platform. One is built with TK support (for GUI application) and is
probably not the one you want, although it can be made to work if you
know what you are doing. The one you want will have a name like
tclkitsh instead of tclkit or some variation of this. "

So one want to use the file tclkitsh for windows and nothing else.

I have a single line .bat file that look like this, which enable me to
stop the client by creating the file Quit.txt (with a second file
Quit.bat that copies itself to Quit.txt) and all activity is logged to
log.txt:

tclkitsh cgosGtp.kit -c config9.txt -k Quit.txt  > log.txt

The file config9.txt look like this:

%section server
     server cgos.boardspace.net
     port 6867

%section player
      name      Valkyria3.2.7
      password  xxxx
      invoke    ..\\..\\ValhallGTP.exe time threadengine ponder
      priority  7

You need to use '\\' instead of '/' in the path to your program I think.

Note that as far as I know the 9x9 server has not been running for
over a week, so this is of course also a reason for not beeing able to
connect to it...

I find it useful to use the viewer for testing if CGOS is running, and
the log file is also immediately helpful.

I hope this will help.

Also, since the 9x9 server is down, some programs are actually playing
13x13 right now so it would be fun if more programs did that, since it
is so rare that any programs at all play 13x13.

Magnus